Saturday, October 3, 2009

Sleeping in Seattle

Saturday, October 3, 2009 11:17:46 PM PT

Slept for 10.5 hours today. Man, I’m just totally wiped out.
We woke up in the afternoon and went into Seattle. Katrina hasn’t been feeling well, seems like a cold is trying to get her. Hopefully the sleep will start to turn things around.

We had a great day in Seattle, though. Absolutely, no question, the best food we’ve had since January of this year. The stuff we’ve been cooking at home in Alega has been good, too, but in terms of going out somewhere to eat, today was just awesome. And I had my first good beer in 9 months. It was a local brew from Pike Brewery. It was all right, but normally not something I’d write home about. In this case, however, I’m writing home about it.

Seattle is just such a beautiful city. It’s very clean, the people are super-nice, and Pike Place Market just stuns me every time. Flowers, fruit, handicrafts--all wonderful. Had the best apple today that I have ever had in my whole life. It was a Honey Crisp apple, and the sweet juices just ran down all over my mouth. Just incredible. (The apples in American Samoa are terrible. Worst apples I’ve ever had, by a long shot.)

Well, we have a very early flight tomorrow, and another long day of travel. So I should wrap it up here. But let me close by saying how wonderfully amazing it is to be back on American soil. It’s almost bizarre. Still too close and too much shock to have more thoughts on the differences between island life and mainland life. But I’ll put something together sometime soon.

peace,

Mark

1 comment:

  1. Glad you guys are back on "home" turf. Can't wait to see you...safe travels...and I hope you get caught up on sleep!

    ReplyDelete